Thursday, September 12, 2013

Today's Blessing- A Dead Cell Phone



Mondays are a rush day for us. The girls get out of school at 3 and then Isla has ballet in Dallas at 3:45. It's a 33 minute drive giving us 12 minutes to pray traffic cooperates, I don't get lost (which happens ALOT) and to get Isla properly dressed. (there is a strict dress code)

By the time I packed kids in the car Monday to go sit in the school pickup line I realized my cell phone was about to die. I knew the kids would be in the car for awhile so I turned on "My Little Pony" which meant no radio for me. (I thank God for built-in DVD players in Dallas)

So there I was sitting in line for at least 30 minutes, with an hour roundtrip plus another hour sitting in the car during ballet class while the babies napped. 2 1/2 hours of no radio, no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no Pinterest!!! I thought to myself , "This is going to be miserable! What am I going to do?"

I then looked over and what did I see? My bible. I just started laughing. You see just that morning as I was running errands I was thinking about how I didn't get up early as I had planned to spend time in the Word. I thought about how in college I would go to my quiet spot (and no, it wasn't a locked bathroom) and I somedays would spend two hours studying God's Word. I had time to use fancy things like the Strong's concordance and such! :)  I quickly thought about life's different seasons and how they are continually changing. I have read enough mommy books and blogs to know not to beat myself up over a skipped quiet time.  I assured myself I would one day return to  having plenty of "me" time and I will dust off our library in the garage and become the bible scholar I have always dreamt to be.   

But as I sat there looking at my bible I realized God had set this moment up. My phone was almost dead and He put me in the car for 2 1/2 hours with sleeping babies and the older ones in a "My Little Pony" trance. I spent the next 30 minutes reading. Once I started driving I thought it would be best not to try to read (My driving is bad enough without extra distractions) so I started praying. Not just rattling off my prayer list but I spent time with my Lord. It was a sweet couple of hours. 

On the drive home I talked to God about all of this.  I realize my life looks different than it did in my early 20's.  I have children, a husband, a house, laundry, etc. etc. It's okay that I don't have hours on end to read my bible and pray. Well, is it? Have I been using God's gracious blessings of children, a husband, and a home as an excuse not to spend quality time with Him in Word and prayer? That's scary.  I agree with the need to give ourselves grace and understanding as moms with young children. But most importly we need to give ourselves to the Lord each and everyday. Not so we can check it off and add stars by our name. But so we can be fed with God's Word and give Him our praises, thanksgiving, and supplications everyday. 

Now, I almost daily read my Jesus Calling or Morning & Evening devotionals. (Don't judge me! I run at the mention of a Beth Moore study, knowing it will take such time and discipline. Please Note -I LOVE Beth Moore) I pray everday for my family and urgent needs.  But today I am talking about truly studying God's Word and spending time in prayer and meditation. I know for me this means turning off my TV and phone before midnight so I am not too exhausted to get up in the morning. For you it might mean something else. It's true that life has many seasons. But no matter the season our need is always the same, an intimate relationship with our Lord that only comes from studying His word and prayer.  











All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.   2 Timothy 3:16-17


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 

Psalm 119:105

But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” Mathew 4:4




This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Joshua 1:8





For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 

Romans 15:4



For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.    Hebrews 4:12




With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:10-11





  










No comments:

Post a Comment