Monday, August 26, 2013

Back to School Time Capsule

Last year, we started a new tradition at our house.  We made a "Back to School" Time Capsule.  The kids had a great time coloring a picture of what they hoped the year would be like on a piece of cardstock.  I then downloaded some free printables that we filled out together.  When we were done, each child rolled the printables up like a tube and tied a ribbon around it.  We then stored them away for the year.  This morning we had a lot of fun opening these time capsules and reading what each child wrote last year.  Before we looked at last years time capsule, I brought each child down and completed a new one to be stored until next year.  Last year, we all did it together. But because I have kids who can't or don't like to write, I decided to just interview each child this year.  (Also, we were short on time and it helped shorten this activity!) Here are some pictures of this activity.

Sample of Julianna Marie's 2013 Time Capsule Interview
 Johnna Katherine writing her name. I hate I missed videotaping the part where she said, "mom, do you think it will fit?"
 Sample of Johnna Katherine's 2013 Time Capsule Interview


JohnMark opening last year's time capsule
 He couldn't believe how much had changed!
 Well, except the wanting MORE LEGOS!

I am sure this tradition will stick with our family.  It was fun to listen to them read the old time capsules.  I am going to store them away so that each year they can look back at them.  I am thinking I might even let them decorate a shoe box to store all of them in.  I think they would really like that!
Here is a link to the interview I used.  



I would love to hear other Time Capsule ideas you might have.






No comments:

Post a Comment